1. “I’ll leave eventually.” There’s no reason to procrastinate. Don’t wait until tomorrow to do something you can accomplish today. The longer you wait, the harder it’s going to be to leave. Besides, you don’t want to lead someone on who cares about you. You don’t want them to grow too attached if you’re planning on leaving them eventually.
2. “The sex is amazing.” You don’t want to stay in a relationship for the wrong reasons. It’s wonderful you’ve found someone who makes you feel good physically, but you deserve someone who makes you feel good emotionally, too. You don’t want all your fondest memories to be in the bedroom. You should be friends as well as lovers.
3. “I don’t want to start over.” It’s scary to call yourself single after years of being in a relationship. It’s scary to take care of yourself. It’s scary to put yourself back in the dating game. But sometimes, the easiest path forward isn’t the right path forward. Sometimes you have to make uncomfortable decisions in order to truly grow.
4. “We’ve been together forever.” Stop telling yourself you don’t know how to live without them. You can survive on your own. You can even find love again. Don’t trick yourself into believing you’re obligated to stay with this person, simply because you have history with them. Just because they were the perfect match for you yesterday doesn’t mean the same thing is true today.
5. “They’ve changed.” Have they really changed? Or is that something that you’ve been telling yourself because you don’t want to break up with them? If they keep hurting you in the same way over and over again, then they’re not worth the trouble. You don’t want to get your heart broken dozens of times over the same person. You don’t want to allow history to keep repeating itself.
6. “I’m never going to find anyone else.” You might feel like they’re the only person in the world who understands you, like they’re the only one capable of handling your quirks, but you’re wrong. There are plenty of other people out there who would love to date you. You have options.
7. “They need me.” You can’t remain in a relationship out of guilt. It’s not your responsibility to take care of them. They’re a grown up. They can survive on their own. Losing you might hurt them, but they can always bounce back.
8. “I don’t want to disappoint anyone.” Your family isn’t going to be disappointed if you leave your relationship. They’re going to be disappointed if you purposely put yourself through hell on their account. At the end of the day, they want you to be happy. They want what’s best for you.
9. “I’m too old to be single.” There isn’t a set date when you should be married with children. You have to stop assuming you’re meant to reach certain milestones at certain ages. After all, isn’t it better to meet your forever person at a late age than to settle for the wrong person when you’re young?