1. The first time is going to be magical. When you sleep with someone for the first time, there are going to be awkward moments. You do’t know each other’s bodies yet. You don’t know what turns them on and what turns them off. Sex is a learning experience. It’s going to take some time to get to know where they want to be kissed and what their different moans mean. That’s why you shouldn’t freak out if your first time with someone is less exciting than expected, because it’s only going to get better the next time.
2. You’re always going to be in the mood. Even when you’re dating someone you consider the most attractive person in the world, you aren’t always going to be in the mood to slip beneath the sheets. The great thing about finding your forever person is that they will like you for more than your body. That means they won’t mind it much when you turn them down for the night in order to snuggle on the couch and watch Netflix. They’ll just be happy to spend the time with you.
3. You don’t need to use protection. Even if you trust your partner not to cheat, condoms and birth control pills are still useful. You don’t want to put extra stress on your relationship by getting pregnant before the two of you are ready to take that next step. Stay smart. Be safe.
4. It will be the most exciting sex of your life. Maybe that random hookup you had in college will turn out to be the most exciting, passionate sex of your life — but that’s okay. You’re going to realize that sometimes, romantic, gentle, familiar sex is even better.
5. You’re never going to want to sleep with anyone else again. You are still going to find other people attractive. You are still going to wonder what it would be like to sleep with a certain celebrity you admire or stranger you lock eyes with on the subway. As long as you don’t act on those thoughts, as long as you stay loyal to your person, you can rest easy. Finding your forever person isn’t about your libido disappearing. It’s about making the active choice to be with them and only them.
6. You’ll be having sex all the time. In the puppy love phase of your relationship, this might be true. But the longer you’re together, the older you get, the more responsibilities you’ll have. There will be times when you aren’t able to squeeze sex into the schedule, times when you realize there are more important things than getting naked together.
7. You are going to get bored of each other over time. Even though the idea of sleeping with the same person for the rest of your life might sound boring, it doesn’t have to be that way. You should both put an effort into your sex life the same way you put effort into the rest of your relationship. There are plenty of ways to keep things fresh and exciting as long as you treat each other as priorities.