1. Some relationships are temporary. Some loves aren’t meant to last forever.
2. Falling out of love is a harsh reality. You won’t always feel the same about someone years down the line as you did on your first date.
3. Fighting for a relationship is not always the right move to make. Sometimes, the bravest thing you can do is call it quits.
4. You can’t change another person. You can’t force them into breaking bad habits. If they aren’t interested in changing, then it will never happen, no matter how much you encourage them, no matter how much you love them.
5. You should marry someone you love — but also someone you like, someone you consider a best friend.
6. Some people are going to judge you for breaking up with a long-term partner, but others will judge you for staying in a relationship that clearly makes you unhappy. You are always going to be judged by someone, so you might as well make the choice that is right for you.
7. Falling for the wrong person does not make you dumb. It’s easy to get blinded by your emotions. When you see their true colors, don’t be so hard on yourself. They are the bad guy. Not you.
8. You don’t get to choose who you fall in love with — but you do get to choose how much shit you take from them before packing your bags and getting the hell out of there.
9. You are allowed to leave at any point in time. It does not matter how many years you have spent together. It does not matter how disappointed your family will be to hear about the split. Never let shame keep you in the wrong relationship.
10. You don’t owe anyone your time, attention, or affection just because they’ve paid for a few drinks and dinners. Respect cannot be bought.
11. Stop worrying about how the breakup is going to impact the other person. Stop worrying about how lost they will be without you. You cannot stay in the wrong relationship out of pity. Put yourself first for a change. They will be fine.
12. Just because you have history with someone doesn’t mean you have to stay together.
13. Just because you have an apartment or pet or child with someone doesn’t mean you have to stay together.
14. Love on its own is not enough.
15. You can’t ignore little problems, because they are only going to build and build. They aren’t going to go away.
16. A relationship will fall apart without open communication, mutual respect, and continuous effort.
17. If you cannot trust someone, you shouldn’t waste your time with them. They are only going to disappoint you.
18. You shouldn’t wait until anniversaries to shower your person with attention. You should make an effort to treat them right every day of the year, or else, why are you with them?
19. A relationship where one person is putting in all the work is never going to last.
20. Putting an end to the wrong relationship does not mean you are a failure. It means you are wise enough to know when it’s over.
21. You deserve to be happy. You deserve to feel loved.
22. You are always better off single in a toxic relationship.