You is entertaining — but it is also a good reminder about what not to do in relationships.
You is a series about a bookstore manager who falls in love with the girl of his dreams — and ends up stalking her in order to get what he wants. The second season is coming soon, but the first season does a good job of showing the dark side of love stories.
Whether you haven’t seen any episodes yet or are still reeling from the whirlwind finale, here are a few lessons you will learn from binge-watching You:
1. Just because someone treats you better than any of your exes ever have does not mean they are the one for you. Just because someone seems like a good guy at first glance does not mean he actually is.
2. If someone will cheat with you, who knows what else they are capable of doing to you?
3. Never date someone who tries to pull you away from your closest friends. Your person should be an important part of your world — but they should not be your entire world.
4. Your friends want what is best for you. If they actively hate the person you are dating, you should stop to think about whether they are seeing something important that you have missed.
5. Think twice before getting back together with an ex. You should not impulsively get back together just because you miss each other and have a strong history.
6. Life is nothing like a romantic comedy. You are going to have awkward dates and you are going to have eight second sex. No relationship is perfect.
7. Make sure you meet your person’s friends as soon as possible. If they don’t have any friends, it might be a red flag. It might also be a red flag if they don’t have any social media.
8. You should keep your eyes out for liars. If your person is actively hiding secrets about their ex-girlfriend or their whereabouts on a weekend night, who knows what else they will lie about.
9. You should not believe what you see on social media. The persona someone posts across the internet is not always indicative of who they actually are as a person.
10. Speaking of social media, you should adjust your privacy settings. If you keep your pages public, any creeper can come and find you.
11. Therapy is a good way to deal with your grief, your abandonment issues, and your career insecurities. Just keep the relationship professional.
12. Reading is sexy. But having the same taste in books does not mean you are meant to be together. You need a deeper connection than the authors you read and movies you watch.
13. It’s better to be single than to date a psychopath.
14. No one is all bad. Even killers have good traits, which is why it’s easy to fall for the wrong person. Be careful. Do not be fooled by the way a guy woos you on the first date or the gentle way he takes care of the neighbor’s kid. Just because someone is nice some of the time does not mean they are nice behind your back. It does not mean they deserve your love.
15. If you have a bad feeling about someone, run. You do not need a good reason to leave. Just leave.