When you’re the owner of a pet, they become a part of your family. You have a responsibility to keep them safe and shelter them from harm. Unfortunately, not all pet owners act responsibly toward their pets and some will even go out of their way to harm them.

However, harming a dog, for instance, isn’t necessarily something someone does deliberately or out of malice. Sometimes, something as seemingly innocent as giving your dog a makeover can end up nearly killing them.

Dyeing your dog’s fur, for instance, has recently become a craze that dog owners all over the world are jumping on. Yep, you can even take your pooch to the salon where they get their fur styled beyond recognition.

Their fur can even be given a brand new color with a dog-safe dye. If you’re using a dye which has been approved for its use on dogs and if you know what you’re doing, it’s usually pretty safe.

It’s when people try to dye their dogs without taking the proper precautions that horrific accidents are caused. Unfortunately, the damage done is not purely about their appearance, it can, in fact, leave them in excruciating pain. Violet, a tiny 5 lbs Maltese, developed burns that left her in agony and almost killed her.

Violet was literally dyed the color violet without considering the awful consequences that this rash decision might lead to.