Turkish officials say Istanbul’s busy Ataturk International Airport has reopened, hours after three suicide bombers killed 41 and wounded 239, as investigators work to determine who was behind the attack.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said air traffic returned to normal. “Our airport has been opened to flights and departures from 02:20 [local time] on,” he said in a statement at the airport early Wednesday morning.

Turkish Airline’s website says “flight operations have been restarted” and instructs passengers to monitor actual flight information.

Earlier, it seemed several flights were delayed, with about one-third of them cancelled.

Meanwhile, investigators are racing to identify the three bombers. There has been no claim of responsibility for the attack, though Yildirim said Tuesday that the signs point to Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

The airport, the third busiest in Europe, has been seen as a potential target by the extremist group for some time, and previous attacks have put pressure on the government to take action, said CBC’s Dorian Jones.

“Opposition parties are saying not enough resources are going to fighting Islamic State, and too many resources are going to fighting Kurdish rebels … and this attack will again raise the question of the priorities of the government,” Jones said from Istanbul.

An ISIS suicide bomber killed 10 people in Istanbul in January. Another four died there in a blast in March, which was also linked to the group.

NATO’s chief strongly condemned the “horrific attacks” and said Turkey’s 27 allies in the U.S-led political and military organization stand with it.

“There can be no justification for terrorism,” NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said in a statement.

“NATO allies stand in solidarity with Turkey, united in our determination to fight terrorism in all its forms.”

Meanwhile, one Ukrainian and one Iranian citizen were said to be among the dead, according to officials from those countries.

Iran said it had suspended all flights to Istanbul’s main international airport until “safety and security are guaranteed,” but added it may resume operations later Wednesday.


Armed Turkish policemen patrol inside the terminal at Ataturk International Airport in Istanbul early Wednesday, a day after the deadly blasts by suicide bombers. (Sedat Suna/EPA)

For the full story please visit CBC.ca