You may think you and your grandmother have plenty in common, but it turns out her upbringing was very different from yours. I’m not talking about the lack of computers or Netflix or celebrity Presidents.
There were some crazy things that happened in the not-so-distant past that we would never do today! Care for a cocaine-laced mouth lozenge or a water massage for your boobs? If you think those sound strange, then you’ve got to check out this list of 20 awful things that used to be totally normal.
1. This beauty pageant in Cliftonville in 1939
Um, where are their faces?
2. This American vending machine selling suntans in 1949
That’s got to be healthy.
3. This method of hair straightening in the 1960s
I actually have some friends who did this in college. Ah, the smell of burnt hair!
4. This water massager for breasts from 1930
But why, though?
5. These paint-on stockings from 1941
Women have their legs painted at a London store so they can save their coupons, which would otherwise be used for nylon stockings. Not a bad idea, really.
Want to see a resume from the depressions era? I bet it’s not what you think…