Colombia’s government and Marxist guerillas said on Saturday they had agreed on a new peace deal to end their 52-year war, six weeks after the original one was narrowly rejected in a referendum for being too lenient on the rebels.
The government and Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), who have been negotiating a deal in Havana for four years, said they had incorporated changes proposed by various sectors of society into the accord.
“We have reached a new final accord to end the armed conflict that integrates changes, precisions and proposals suggested by the most diverse sectors of society,” both sides said in a statement.
“We call upon all Colombia and the international community….to back this new accord and its quick implementation so as to leave the tragedy of war in the past,” the statement read. “Peace cannot wait anymore.”
Chief government negotiator Humberto de la Calle says that he and rebel negotiator Luciano Marin, alias Ivan Marquez, signed the deal in Cuba, putting an end to a half-century-long conflict that has claimed more than 220,000 lives
On Saturday, De la Calle said the negotiations had been intense. “We worked 15 days and nights to reach this new agreement.”
However, former president Alvaro Uribe, who led opposition to the original deal, said he asked for the opportunity for his camp and the victims of the conflict to briefly study the new accord before its implementation.
“I have asked the president that the texts they announce in Havana not be definitive,” he said in a statement posted on his Twitter account, adding that his camp might want to make some further tweaks.
Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos recently won the 2016 Nobel Peace Prize for his efforts to end the country’s decades-long civil war, which was considered a surprise in light of his peace plan’s rejection by Colombian voters.
It is still unclear if Santos will put the new accord up for a popular vote. He is set to speak about the new deal later on Saturday.
For the full story please visit CBC.ca