The victims of last week’s so-called crossbow killings in the Toronto suburb of Scarborough were the mother and two brothers of the man charged with three counts of first-degree murder.
A court-ordered publication ban put in place after Brett Anthony Ryan, 35, was charged in the triple homicide Friday prevented CBC News from publishing the names of the victims until now. Several media outlets — including CBC — opposed the ban in court, and an Ontario Superior Court judge lifted it Tuesday morning.
Toronto police had initially requested the publication ban, but say that it’s no longer needed, the prosecution told the court Tuesday morning.
Ryan appeared in court during the hearing wearing a white T-shirt.
Police allege Ryan strangled his mother Susan Ryan with a ligature. His brothers, Alexander and Chris, died of neck wounds from a crossbow bolt or arrowhead, according to autopsy results released by the police Monday.
All three were pronounced dead at their mother’s Lawndale Road property last Thursday. Susan Ryan and one of her sons were found in the garage and another son was found lying on the driveway. A third son, who had minor injuries, ran to a neighbour’s home looking for help, shortly after the attack.
It’s unclear whether any of the Ryan brothers lived at the home with their mother, whose husband William died last year, according to public records.
Det.-Sgt. Mike Carbone told reporters Monday he wanted any members of the public who had spoken with the accused between 7:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. ET on Aug. 25 to contact police.
Officers initially responded to a call about a stabbing at the Lawndale Road home in Scarborough early last Thursday afternoon. On arrival, they found two people without vital signs and one person died after they got to the bloody scene. As the investigation progressed throughout that day, police said they found a crossbow and other items on the property that could have been used as weapons.
Police also searched a condo unit at 218 Queens Quay W., in Toronto’s downtown Harbourfront area, on Thursday after evacuating the building when they learned there was a connection between the complex and Brett Ryan.
Ryan had been convicted of 16 robbery-related charges in January 2009, and was sentenced to three years and nine months in jail. It’s unclear exactly how much time he spent in custody. He declared bankruptcy while in jail.
According to social media accounts, Ryan was to be married in three weeks.
The accused had attended a local Toronto university, and Carbone said investigators are trying to reach former fellow schoolmates.
For the full story please visit CBC.ca